What's new
Biafraspot

Welcome to Biafraspot! A Biafran/Igbo discussion forum. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nollywood Sins: Igbo historical attire

Proppy

This is likely going to be a series. Just because of how prevalent so many historical 'sins' are in modern Nollywood. Why is it that Nollywood almost never gets historical Igbo attire right?

I acknowledge that Nollywood doesn't claim to represent actual history and lack of funds strongly restricts them. But at a point, you need ask; how is this even possible? Do they not research at all? Watching some movies gives the impression that they searched up stereotypical 'African' dressing and decided to go with that, instead of sitting down to talk with their elders.

This would have not been a problem is Igbos back in the day were walking around in sackcloth and ashes, but they weren't. It's like making an Indian movie, and everyone is wearing cowboy hats and boots. It makes no sense.

Here are the average clothing of historical Igbos.

woman standing.jpg

man next to shrine.jpg
igbo trader woman.jpg
middle aged women 2.jpg
middle aged women.jpg

British/European speaking of a type of fancy Igbo clothing that he saw being sold in the Niger confluence area.
British lok 2.jpg

This is likely going to be a series. Just because of how prevalent so many historical 'sins' are in modern Nollywood. Why is it that Nollywood almost never gets historical Igbo attire right?

I acknowledge that Nollywood doesn't claim to represent actual history and lack of funds strongly restricts them. But at a point, you need ask; how is this even possible? Do they not research at all? Watching some movies gives the impression that they searched up stereotypical 'African' dressing and decided to go with that, instead of sitting down to talk with their elders.

I've been wondering about that too. LOL. They say it's because of funds, but the truth is many of them are not trying at all.

Last edited:
Somewhat iconic picture: young maidens dressed for a festival. Amazing quality of fabrics and patterns.

maidens at festival.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread